Sunday, December 8, 2013

Cancer On My Mind

It's after 1:00 a.m. Sunday morning and I can’t sleep.  I lost a friend this past week and I’m sure it has something to do with my current mood.  I’ve known this woman for twelve years, and in that time we worked together, talked on the phone, fussed and argued about everything, laughed about ridiculous stuff and then we’d do it all over again another day.  Last time I spoke to her on the phone I was singing at the top of my lungs, Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! – and she’d chime in with “Hallelujah! in between my heartfelt Amen!  We’d laugh like girls until I’m sure my neighbors started to wonder if I’d lost my mind.  I will miss you Lonella.

I swear that under the cloaking of night time, when everything is silent, when it feels like the entire world is asleep but me – this is when the boogie man is up to no good.  All the scary stuff that passes through my mind, the things that I purposely crush during the day time find their way in.  The fears, the doubts, the trepidation and all my insecurities are messing with me right now.  I’m muddling my way amongst all the cancer crap still trying to come to terms with some heavy shit, like dying and living through the dying and wishing somebody had a play book with instructions on the best way to go about it all.  It’s weird, some days I feel like I’ve got this! – and on other days it’s like right now, where I’m asking, what the hell happened to my life?
Like everyone, I’ve been listening to everything I can on the late and very awesome Nelson Mandela and came across a quote today that spoke directly to my soul:  There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires.”  You see, this journey is my walk and I’m trying to figure out how to stay on the path toward my dreams and my goals without allowing this sometimes overwhelming and humongous scourge that has invaded my body swallow me whole and distract me from my purpose.  Last few days, I have to admit to giving in to my fears and being just a little bit distracted. I’ll work through it though.


Look, I haven't totally given in to the slumps.  I had a really great day yesterday. My gals, Monica, Vivienne and Paula treated me to a Christmas lunch at Anthony’s on the water, my favorite place to eat, and as we chatted I took moments to gaze at the water as it rippled and rolled with the breeze.  The day was my day, they said.  I got to indulge in a bit of narcissism – but just a tad – because nothing I like more than being treated like something special.  I got that.  We talked about old times and new times.  We laughed about silly stuff and we shed some tears – well, mostly me, and my dear friend Vivienne, whose heart is hurting because I am, and me from the outpouring of love from such good people who genuinely and sincerely care about me. They surprised me with gifts – a gift certificate from Gene Juarez, another favorite place of mine where I get some pampering, and a beautiful book of daily devotions.  It’s funny that every time I start to give in to bad moments something always happens to pull me back from the dark.  This was one of those times.  These gals were exactly what I needed, and I’m grateful to have them in my world.


I have an overabundance of blessings in my life, and I'm grateful all the way to my tippy toes.  I know this, and have to remind myself to focus only on the positive.  My niece sent me something that literally bitch slapped me off my pity potty.  It's a blog, and the owner of the blog is only 21 years old with an old soul.  This little girl is dealing with shit I’m having a hard time dealing with at my old age, but she said something that connected with my heart.    

"I may have been given incredibly unfair cards in life, but these are the ones that I have been dealt and these are the ones that I need to make the most of. I guess some people take a whole lifetime to not even make a dent on society. I am utilizing all of my time to make a huge difference in people’s lives. Maybe I do not need that whole lifetime to impact people, I sure would like one, but sometimes the ones who are here the least amount of time leave the biggest impression. If I can somehow stay positive throughout facing my mortality at such a young age, then I believe others should stay positive too."

I’d like to pass this blog on to inspire you as it did me. http://thenotdyinggirl.com/. Cancer is an abomination, most especially when it attacks our children. And that just will not do. We will not stop, must not stop -- until cancer does.

I'm only human and I know there will be more days when this fight will seem more than this warrior can bare, and I’m pretty sure the last couple of days evidenced this.  But I also know I’m no quitter; warriors do not give up.  Not this one anyway.  I’m confident in saying that no one at any one time will ever lose a battle to cancer or succumb to this disease as long as there are those out there walking, running, jogging or just reaching into their pockets to give to the cause.  Warriors never die, we lay down and rest when we’re weary, confident and sure that while we rest others will rise up and continue the fight in our honor. That’s the code we live by.


“The greatest glory in living
lies not in never falling,
but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela

10 comments:

  1. Wow Angeline - you are a true inspiration to us all. Thank you, for being you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You humble me Suzan. Thank you much for your kind words. I'm inspired by you as well!

      Delete
  2. Angie, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. The piece that you quoted from the 21 year old's blog is so true. Recently a young child that I knew passed from cancer. She was only in elementary school, but the impact that she had on my community in her short time was amazing! My heart breaks when I think of her family, but I also know that she taught me a lot about how to fight. It didn't matter when I saw her, she always had a smile on her face or a light in her eyes. In the short time that I've known you, you have been an inspiration for me. This battle is hard, and please know that each day I wake up with you in my heart. Sending you lots of love from the eastern side. Love ya sweet sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you from the bottom of my heart thank you. The passing of a child is so heartbreaking. I hate this disease! I'm happy I am able to inspire you in any way and please know that you and all the courageous women I've met on line inspire me as well. Much love to you too dear sister!

      Delete
  3. Oh Angie, I wish there was a friendship phone line for whoever is awake at that lonesome time of late night, early morning. My mom and I used to call each other, just to see if either of us was awake and, very often, we were. Let me reassure you, you are never alone. I know so many who wake at that scary lonely time. Whatever our problems, ghosts, worries seem stronger then for all of us. Just remember, I may be awake, your niece may be awake, I could name so many.. Sometimes we surprise each other with responses to texts or emails. You are not alone, Angie, you are always in our thoughts and prayers, even if we are asleep but, very often, we are not. It's almost time for you to do the antler dance!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy - I know I'm not alone sometimes it just feels like it. You know...in the dark of night when the world is silent. I'll get through this. I searched all day yesterday for a Christmas sweater to wear with the antlers -- Nordstrom for a sale -- no luck and at Macy's - no such luck. Finally found something within my budget at Fred Meyers - perfect for my antler dance. Will take a picture and frame it for you! Merry Christmas!!

      Delete
  4. Email me. . Message me. . Even text me. I am almost always up at that time of the night. A master doesn't become a doctor by sleeping :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. You just might get an message from me during a troubled night. Please let me know how you're doing as well!

      Delete
  5. And another thought... All it takes is one person to make a difference. Then if that person pays it forward can change a multitude. Take Billy Graham for example. . . The man who lead him to Christmas was a shoe salesman and has only led one. Just look at the difference makinga difference can make! Just one.. just for today. Keep on my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your positive comment and reminder that you are right -- it only takes one person to make a change. I will definitely keep on keepin' on my friend! Just for today...and then tomorrow if I like it and decide to do a good day all over again. :)

      Delete