Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Hello Graciousness!

I feel invincible, a superwoman -- like I can take on the world singlehandedly because I AM ALL THAT.  I'm kicking butt and taking no prisoners daggonit!  And why?  Because I walked around the entire lake today, not once, but twice!  Yes I did!  Toot toot!  Yeah, yeah...and I'm patting myself on the back too.

Okay, enough of that.  But considering only a week or so ago I couldn't even make it half way around that monster lake without inwardly whining, huffing and a puffing, I'm giving myself an overabundance of kudos -- indeed I am.  Because seriously, not one of us knows what tomorrow will bring so I'm looking at all my moments more preciously than I ever have before.  It's too bad it's taken cancer to get me to this point.  Now here's the big BUT -- no pun intended -- better late than never!

I have to tell you, the moment I was diagnosed with cancers, my world changed.  At first, it literally spun out of orbit.  Literally.  Emotionally, I was all over the place.  The expiration date on me was becoming a little clearer and that scared the hell out of me.  Since, life has opened up to me in a completely new way; in a good way.  I think I can feel and see things more clearly now.  I have a renewed gratitude for the things that truly matter in my life; gratitude for waking up each morning and starting a new day, gratitude for the fact that I can even walk around the lake again, gratitude for my children and my granddaughter and my daughter-in-law, my family and true friends.  I can't say the word enough.  I'm just grateful, and it would be stupid if I did not take advantage of the opportunities that have been granted to me as a beautifully wrapped gift. Valarie Harper expressed this better than I ever could when addressing her own diagnosis.  "I can't say it's terminal. I'm saying it's incurable so far, but we're all terminal. No one is getting out of this alive," she said. "The key is, don't go to the funeral until the day of the funeral."

In other words, I do not want to spend one minute of today worrying about what tomorrow might bring.  I might miss a really good moment!

Tomorrow I'm going for lap number 3!  Ciao baby!



”You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, 
that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. LORD my God, I will praise you forever.”
Psalm 30:11-12


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful...you AND your writing. I can't thank you enough.

    ReplyDelete