Friday, October 4, 2013

T. M. I. Beware

For several months I've tried really hard not to think of breast cancer, because of my current situation, which has been on hold.  But can you really put cancer on hold?  I'm too afraid to pose this question to my doctor.  With breast cancer month upon us it's getting really difficult for me not to think about it. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last January, and at the time, my tumor was less than the size of a zit.  Has it changed? Will I have to have a mastectomy or lumpectomy?  I've warded off worry these last few months because I've been otherwise detained...but now...  How much can one body take I wonder?  I will most definitely be having a mammogram after this next line of chemo/radiation therapy to see what's what.  Oh my.  I'm praying, hoping, and pleading that it has not worsened. Yeah.

Speaking of breasts, I have a non threatening issue that warrants discussion for anyone going through the same thing.  After having the Whipple procedure I was left with a long incision down the center of my torso, which has become a keloidal scar.  If you will recall from earlier posts, it didn't immediately heal at the top and my doctor had to reopen it and pack it with moist gauze.  I personally spent about a month and half packing it with gauze before I could finally let it close naturally.  Thank goodness that's over now.  But the entire area is so hypersensitive I can't stand to have anything against my skin...no clothing, no bra...nada, this includes my ample bosoms which sometimes swing against the area in question if they are not adequately bound, because...honestly?...gravity and I have not become close friends over the years.  It's not painful, just uncomfortable. Of course going without a bra is not an option during the day, and going without clothing in public is against the law and just...not cool.  Taping a square piece of gauze over the area like I did when the wound was healing helps but there's still some discomfort and the tape agitates my skin.  I've even gone as far as taping a maxi pad over the incision because the soft padding is comfortable and offers protection against fabrics and the underwire of my bra...although it's too bulky for daytime, works perfectly under my bed clothes. God forbid I have a run in with some paramedics and completely baffle them as they try to figure out how a maxi pad ended up on my chest.  I've been told the overly sensitive skin problem will be an issue for about a year and lessen with time.  Come on. I also have concerns that radiation, which will be targeted for this particular area, will cause the keloid to burn and blister. Ouch! So many things to think about.  I'm currently researching various salves and ointments for this area and will advise what works best for radiation treatment.  Right now I'm leaning toward Lindi Skin Care, a product I found on line when I was going through chemo that just might do the trick. http://www.lindiskin.com/.

I have good news! Today is my last day on antibiotics and I'm just waiting for the hospital to call to schedule my next CT scan.  Ah man...I hope the infection has cleared.  Life these days is just not boring.

Have a great weekend! Ciao baby!! 



“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?”
T.S. Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment