Thursday, November 7, 2013

Good Days Are All The More Sweeter Now!

Okay so Wednesday, after a night of practically descent sleep, I woke up hungry, like-a-lion hungry.  My stomach was growling like something ugly inside and I realized early on my needs were very specific.  I wanted some spaghetti, and tossing some Ragu on top of some ground hamburger wasn’t going to do the trick.  Uh-uh I needed something cooked by either Giada De Laurentiis, which was ridiculous, or my Italian friend, Deborah.  But since neither was about to happen as soon as I needed it to happen an authentically Italian place by the Tacoma Mall, called the Adriatic Grill, would do just fine.   My taste buds were looking for something poppin’ with flavor, I could practically taste tons of garlic, basil and oregano…M’m good.  Had to have it just the way I dreamt it.  I had four errands I wanted to run on my own and considering the speedometer for my energy was practically on zero already I needed to hit each location fast, do what needed to be done then get on to the next destination.  The Adriatic Grill would obviously need to be my second to the last stop because I had laundry and groceries to pick up and thankfully they were both at my last location.  By the time I dragged my exhausted body to the restaurant -- and if you’re thinking I should have called in my order you’d be right but chemo brain ain’t a pretty thing and I forgot that as an option -- I was like a limp nasty dish rag by the time I pulled into the parking lot.  I climbed out of the car, very slowly, walked right up to the counter with purpose and told the lady standing there I needed – operative word being need – spaghetti and meatballs and asked her to throw in some Bruschetta with Tomato-Feta.  Yum – by this point I was ravenous and everything sounded good.  She may have sensed my desperation because my order arrived lickety split.  I grabbed my bags of good Italian eatins’ and slowly, very slowly headed to my car.  I was a bit gingerly on my feet and think I even weaved a bit precariously.  It may have been my imagination but it felt like people were giving me some wary looks.  Whatever.


My next stop was the grocery story for some bread, milk and mints.  I heard somewhere that mint was good for nausea so it was a must have.  Last stop – thank God – on my list was the dry cleaners.  Carrying a full winter coat in my arms along with the other items of clothing almost did me in but I managed to get everything to the car along with myself strapped in and back to home base in no time.  I even got everything from my car in both arms so I’d only have to make one trip – I’m smart as a whip – as I slowly, steadily climbed the stairs to the condo and fell quite nicely through the door.  Hey, I made it through my own chores and lived to tell about it.  Ha Ha! I threw everything else aside and took my bounty into the kitchen, spread everything out on the table like I was the queen of Sheba then sat my weary body in front of this great bounty and picked up my fork, which no joke, seemed to weigh a ton.  First bite, absolutely divine, second bite, even better than the first.  But then exhaustion poured over me like warm honey and all I could do was use the last teeny bit of energy I had to put everything in containers for another day. 
 
I stumbled – I kid you not – to my room, stripping en-route to my bed, rolled onto my bed -- by the way, I have the most comfortable super thick mattresses in the world, nothing fancy, didn’t cost an arm and a leg, but cradles my body like an old lover.  I love my bed, which is a good thing since we seem to be spending so much quality time together.  And snuggled in bed, like I hadn't done a damn thing all day (te he), is exactly where my sister found me when she got home from work.

Seriously, sometimes life gets ugly, and there are times when I find I have to look a little harder to find those sweeter moments.  They're always close by, sometimes it just takes a little effort and reaching out to grab hold.  It's worth the effort though. That spaghetti and Bruschetta: delizioso!

It was a good day!



Life is like a camera. Focus on what's important, capture the good times, Develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot.   

wall quotes sayings vinyl decal art by Epic Designs
 

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a tasty plate of pasta in a good sauce to make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete