Friday, November 22, 2013

Still Standing

Just so you know, this week scored a helluva lot better than my first week after treatment on the 'this sucks' barometer on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst; I'm at a 4 this week (rated a big fat 9 the week after my first treatment).  I have a few things in my arsenal this time that actually seem to be working out.  Here’s my list of do’s and don’ts to myself:

Dos:

·        Keep hydrated – I like to use Smart Water with electrolytes, which keeps my body hydrated and also helps to keep everything moving south.  You know what I mean.

·        For nausea – fresh sliced ginger seeped in hot water, the spicier the better is GREAT for soothing the stomach and I also purchased some yummy Tummy Tea from Breast Cancer Yoga, which smells like a slice of heaven with some peppermint, marshmallow leaf, catnip -- yes catnip, and anise.  Now, I was a little intrigued about the catnip because I know how happy it used to make my cat, but hey - as long as I don't get caught up running in circles chasing my tail, it's all good. Meow. The website also has some other nice treats like gift baskets and CDs on yoga and different holistic therapies that I think could help me get through this phase of chemo and even after.  http://www.breastcanceryoga.com/

·         Keep up on the nausea medication – my first week I forgot to set the clock to wake me up during the night so I could take the meds, which may be why I woke up singing “swing low…” with my face in the toilet.

·        Take short walks – this is a challenge for me depending on the weather because one of the damn chemo meds causes the muscles in my body to contract, twist and contort – it’s the weirdest thing ever.  First time it happened I felt like a frickin’ Gumby doll.  Remember those Gumby dolls?  You could mold them, twist ‘em all up anyway you wanted.  Yeah, well that’s me in the cold, or touching or eating anything cold.  One night I ate some cold grapes and my tongue swelled up so now I have to keep Benadryl handy.  Sucks.

·         Eat in two hour intervals.  It helps to keep my strength up.

·        Meditation – I’m trying to get into this Zen state of being stuff – first try I sat so long I forgot my mantra and then completely forgot what I was supposed to be doing in the first place.  Must be chemo brain.  

·         Prayer - a lot of it!  One on one time with the big guy upstairs keeps the anxiety, fear and uncertainty at bay. Keeps me centered like nothing else can.

Don’ts:

·         Don't let myself give in to this chemo/cancer shit!  Neither will define who I am!!

Okay so enough of that; just wanted you to know that although I’m a little unsteady on my feet some days, I’m holding steady.  Wishing you all a really great weekend!
 

“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” ~Mary Anne Radmacher

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Angie, God is looking out for you, I'm sure. You are always in our prayers and the prayers of many others as well. Our love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wendy dear friend. I believe I'm in good hands as well and appreciate all the prayers and love coming my way. Definitely feeling it on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete