Monday, September 16, 2013

Biopsy Friday

My liver biopsy day was last Friday and two good things happened to make me smile.  Thing No. 1 - The best part about any procedure is when they slip you that mickey.  The fog that comes in off the make-believe tide and sweeps over you is absolutely delicious.  Before drifting off I do recall asking the nurse if she was single and telling her my oldest son was also single and verrry handsome.  The last thing hitting my ears was her thanking me for considering her as a potential daughter-in-law.  And please, let me clarify, I am not a drug addict, but I do admit to enjoying the perfectly legal buzz before passing out, and waking up with everything over and out.

Thing No. 2 - My recovery took longer than anticipated so they gave me a room and I was allowed to order breakfast.  The nurse, I thought, accidentally gave me the "normal" persons menu.  You know, the one that doesn't have just low fat, no fat, no sugar this or that selections.  I thought it was by accident so I ordered tentatively expecting the voice on the other end of the phone to say 'nope not for you' with each of my choices.  Here's me.  "Yeah...so can I have the French Toast with lots of butter and syrup on the side?"  Pause.  Happy voice said, "Well, you surely can."  Ecstatic me.  "I can?" Happy voice said, "And would you like some meat with that?"  Another pause on my end as if it were a trick question. "Uh...yeah...how about some turkey bacon?"  Happy voice, "Well, we don't have turkey bacon, but would you like the real bacon?"  Oh Sweet Georgia Brown. As if you even have to ask!  By this point, I'm drooling.  I say yes really quick so they can bring me some of the real food she's teasin' me with.  When I hung up the phone, I expected it to ring again letting me know I'd ordered from the wrong menu.  Been there, done that.  But the phone in my room remained silent.  Yeah.  About twenty minutes later, a knock on my door and in walks a lady with a tray.  I literally inhaled everything right off the tray. So damn good. I guess since my doctor didn't anticipate my being in the hospital long, he didn't bother to leave orders about my diet.  Thank you, thank you!

And now, here I am waiting for the call with the results, more cancer or no.  Pray for me please.  I'm really scared.



“Worrying is carrying tomorrow's load with today's strength- carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.”
Corrie ten Boom

6 comments:

  1. You are in our prayers every day. It's understandable to be scared but don't ever think you are alone, so many people love you, you are never really alone. We are a far distance away right now but we continue to make a ruckus to be sure God knows to look out for you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wendy. You are so kind, and I am blessed and very appreciative of all of the love and support around me. Not to be negative at all, sometimes with this disease or probably with any debilitating disease you can be in a crowd and still experience isolation and a sense of aloneness. I think it is normal, just the nature of the beast. So please don't worry about me. I've got so many people holding me up, you and Bobbe included. My heart is thankful! My soul is thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, You are rarely negative and, if you are, I would never blame or criticize you for this. You have the right to your feelings no matter what they are at any given time. I also realize it is naive of me to say you are never alone because it is, ultimately, your battle...I just want you to be aware of the love that surrounds you all the time. We are on the beautiful island of Hvar, I wish you could join us. You are always in our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Wendy - you always say just the right thing I need to hear. Thanks so much for your support. You know my blog shows my reader base and location and under statistics it shows I have one reader in Russia and one in Croatia. I think the latter is probably you! That made me chuckle! Your trip sounds absolutely incredible! Everything you and Bobbe deserve and more. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angeline,

    That is/was my grandmother's name! Such a beautiful name (Which is why I named my daughter Angelyn). Anyways, I just found your blog in the Cancer survivor community. As soon as I can figure out how to work blogger I want to follow your journey. I too am a cancer survivor... This August was 15 years remission. I received scary news yesterday at my annual dermatoligist appointment. I will be going in for 6 biopsies next week. All six are on my head/in my hair. I am 34 yrs old and have beautiful hair (or had). I can completely understand every emotion that you are going through and will go through. I will be following and using your writing as inspiration for my own writing. I am currently working on my doctoral study so alot of my blogs are of geek content but look forward to using blogger as an outlet for my emotions.... thanks for allowing me to join your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joni thank you thank you for your kind words and for following my blog. I much prefer your spelling of my name. :) You have certainly had your share of this disease and for that I am deeply sorry. I am praying your biopsies will be okay and wish you the very best. You inspire me for Pete's sake and if I can do the same for you I'm happy to so so. Take care!

    ReplyDelete