Sunday, September 22, 2013

Can We Talk...?

I feel as if I’ve spent my entire adult life struggling not to be fat.  Well, not entirely, I believe the battle was lost early thirties…but not the war.  Forgive me for repeating myself but for those of you who haven’t read my story from the beginning, in May 2012 I had a couple of life altering experiences.  Thing 1, while I was unloading some stuff from my car, some bad-ass kids hanging out the window of the house next door yelled, “Hey, fat old lady!”  Remember Bebe's kids from that 1992 animated comedy series on T.V.?  Look it up.  Bebe had some baaad kids.  Well, next door to me, meet Bebe's kids if you dare.  Took only a horrified second for me to realize holy crap! they’re talking about me?  Long story short, I joined a gym, started working out, seriously adjusted my way of consuming calories, and ended up losing almost 60 pounds over a period of 6 months. 

Thing 2, my gym hosted a Biggest Loser Contest, and giving in to my competitive nature, I was just getting ready to enter the contest for the third time to drop my last 25 to 30 pounds when my life completely bottomed out.  One day I woke up in the early morning hours with a serious case of heebie jeebies; insane, ridiculous, mind-numbing itching all over my body.  Within a week, my eyes and skin were yellow and I was at my doctor’s office peeing brown into a plastic cup.   Hello cancer.
I love sweet treats and my profile will attest to that.  But the truth is I’ve struggled with hypertension, diabetes, thyroid disease and high cholesterol and now…well, you know.  Bottom line, I can’t consume that deliciously toxic crap anymore.  Bye bye my friends at Hostess Cupcakes, I love you too, but it’s over.  Cancer gorges itself on sugar, and I’m determined not to give it one more bite.  So here’s me now, finally getting it; counting carbs, watching my sugar intake and exercising my ass off.  Literally and figuratively.  And as weird as it is, even with the cancer (plural if including breast cancer), through 6 months of chemo and some serious surgery that removed a nasty tumor and realigned my plumbing, I feel better than I’ve ever felt.  Ridiculous, right?  I know.  I attribute that to not carrying around excess poundage, improved nutrition and dragging my butt to the park for laps.  The latter is not always easy to do, but is especially important on days when all seems hopeless. I am a warrior in this war against cancer; and I'm building my body and mind up for a battle that is as much emotional as it is physical.
Something pivotal touched my soul the day those juvies were hanging out the window conversing with me, and I personally believe that something was serious intervention from my pal upstairs.  I got that vibe early on, a really powerful feeling that something greater than me was at work.  And still I'd ask, what is different from the million times before when I’d set out to do this thing?  I know now.  What happened in May was supposed to happen to prepare me for the Tsunami ahead.  I truly believe that, and I thank God every day. 
 Below is an article I really liked.  Hope it is informative to you as well.
 
 "Cancer may have started the fight, but I will finish it." -gotCancer.org.

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. You are a warrior! Bobbe and I are so amazed and proud of how you are facing this battle. By the way, we get a breakfast buffet very day at the hotels where we are staying. You should see the wonderful choices we are given and the healthy choices we are making....delicious vegetables, fruit, grains, whole wheat rolls, and on and on. We feel so much better, we need to help the U.S. redefine breakfast!! Our love and best wishes to you. An amazing church in Montenegro, said a prayer for your recovery and good health. The most wonderful people on the trip also include you in their prayers. You, the warrior, gains even more strength!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all of your prayers Wendy. That breakfast buffet sounds delicious. Would love to see pictures of what you and Bobbe are seeing!

    ReplyDelete